Monday, March 11, 2019

Emerson

Being a mom is by far the most important and fulfilling part of my life.  As crazy as things get, I am so grateful to have my 3 little girls, especially because I never had a sister.  Each of my girls has her own unique traits that make her special.  Eva is and always has been an artist, and she is also such a brave and confident fifth grader that she is not afraid to stand up to bullies if it means protecting her friends.  Ellery is the classic youngest child.  She is always silly and full of smiles, but she feels deeply, so if her mood changes, watch out!  Eva and Ellery are a like in a lot of ways; they are fiery, fearless, adventurous, outgoing, and moody.  I love their spunk, and it reminds me a lot of how I was when I was little.

And then there is Emerson...my middle child.  I don't want you to think that I have a favorite, because you know moms never have favorites, but I am constantly in awe of Emerson.  Emerson has the sweetest heart of anyone I have ever met.  Although a little cautious and shy, she is so loving and mature beyond her years when it comes to listening to others and being kind.  When we get home from running errands, and everyone hops out of the car and runs inside without a second thought, Emerson is the one who comes around to the back of the car and asks, "Can I help you carry in the groceries Mommy?"  Or when she has a birthday party at school, instead of eating the cookie with her classmates, she carefully wraps it in a napkin so she can take it home and share it with her sisters.  On our street, Emerson earned herself the nickname "the willow." The kids were trying to put on a play for the adults, and all the older kids were trying to direct.  Emerson was cast as the willow tree which meant she had just stand and sway in the breeze, which she did happily with a smile on her sweet little face.  When the play inevitably fell apart with inner-cast fighting, tears, and accusations, the willow tree stood strong and continued to smile.  That is the perfect representation of Emerson, our willow.  She might like to stay in the background, but she just smiles in the breeze and never yells at anyone.

As I try to teach my children to successfully navigate the world, I want them to be smart, hard-working, successful, polite, friendly, and all of the other qualities that parents want for their children.  While trying to teach them these things, I always am surprised by how much I learn from them.  At 6-years-old, Emerson has already taught me so much about what it truly means to be kind.


5 comments:

  1. What beautiful names your girls have! I loved the metaphor of willow and how Emerson was cast as this tree. Rich and lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Emerson is my attempt at a literary name;)

      Delete
  2. Oh I just love this image of the willow, Courtney! That's so sweet and it's interesting to think about how that image will help shape her. Beautiful writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Writing about our kids seems like the most inspiring topic!

      Delete
  3. Emerson sounds like such a sweet, sweet girl! You chose such great details- the wrapping up her cookie, the willow tree- perfect! I hope someday you will share this with her. I bet there will be pieces about Eva and Ellery as well.

    ReplyDelete