Friday, March 1, 2019

Day 1

As I accept the challenge to blog a slice of my life everyday, I am feeling overwhelmed before I even begin.  I have never blogged before, and I am not even sure if my blog looks right or what I am supposed to be talking about, but I guess I will give it a try!  As a teacher of writing, I am always asking my students to get out of their comfort zones, so I guess I should do the same.  I hope the blogging world will accept me as I take on this challenge.  Here goes...

It seems like day one of a month long blog is a good day for introductions.  Hi...my name is Courtney.  I have been teaching high school English for 15 years, 14 of them in the same district.  I mostly teach Honors English III and AP English Literature.  I am also married to another teacher at my school, Shane,  who I met my first year when we coached cross country together.  We are both runners, and I am currently training for the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati, which is
taking up a lot of my time.  We have three girls: Eva 11 (it is her birthday today!  Actually, her birthday is Leap Day, but we celebrate on March 1), Emerson 6, and Ellery 4.  I imagine that if this blog is truly a slice of my life, these three will be the stars.  All my good stories have to do with them.


The most relevant story in my life this week has to do not with the birthday girl, but with Ellery.  I have been suffering from some serious mom guilt because Monday night when helping me make tea, Ellery spilled boiling water on her self and got second degree burns on her stomach.  Right now she looks like a little mummy because I had to take her to the Shriner's Hospital, which is a hospital specializing in burns, and they wrapped her entire abdomen in gauze and put this little gauze t-shirt thing over it that she has to wear all week.  Besides maybe a little light scarring, she will be fine, but I still feel so bad for letting it happen.  Ellery has sensed my guilt, and she keeps telling me not to worry, I am still a good mommy...which is so sweet it makes me feel worse. Here she is in her "burn cast:"
I love that confident smile!  Obviously this situation has stressed me out more than it has stressed her out.  Anyway, thanks for reading my first ever blog.  Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Courtney! First - poor Ellery! Here's to her quick healing and you're right, she does look confident and cheerful despite all. She and her sisters are lovely. Secondly: As to the daily writing challenge - anything goes. Just WRITE. About anything. A small moment, a poem, anything that inspires you - I have even written about having nothing to write! It's like Nike -"just do it." Lastly: Did you copy and paste this post on Two Writing Teachers so others can read it also? Just making sure, so you can interact with other teacher-writers. It's an amazingly supportive community. Cheers to you for taking on this challenge! Write on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! I am still figuring out the logistics! I didn't know I needed to copy and paste, but I will figure it out.

      Delete
  2. Your post shares a true slice of life. Slices can be happy, said, poignant or every emotion in between. I am sure that you have felt a wealth of emotions this week. Ellery looks like she is happy and confident. Life is full of ups and downs, and we all have to learn how to deal with all of it. Ellery has definitely bounced right back.

    ReplyDelete